When you have kids, the words "spaghetti and meatballs" become a regular part of your vocabulary. I do like to mix it up though. I've been trying to get my kids to try different types of pasta. Tonight was shrimp scampi.
The best shrimp scampi I've ever had is the one from the Barefoot Contessa. She uses lemon zest as well as the juice which gives it more of a complex lemony flavor. A great meal to serve for a dinner party. It's quick, simple and ridiculously good! I always eat way too much of it.
This is one of those dishes that is greatly enhanced when paired with wine. Try a crisp, fruity Sauvignon Blanc. Serve the kids some sparkling apple juice.
Linguine With Shrimp Scampi
- Vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 pound linguine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 1 pound large shrimp (about 16 shrimp), peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 lemon, zest grated
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/4 lemon, thinly sliced in half-rounds
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes