We are spending Memorial Day in our backyard. Grilling up burgers for lunch. Once again, The Barefoot Contessa pulls through with another great recipe. This is my revised version of hers.
Hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day weekend! Let's not forget the men and women that have risked or given their lives for our freedom and liberties.
Niman Ranch Burgers
Revised by Foodism Mom from a recipe by
- 2 pounds ground Niman Ranch beef or other grass-fed premium beef (85 percent lean and 15 percent fat, I also use 90/10)
- 1 tablespoon good Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp good olive oil, plus extra for brushing the grill
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 hamburger buns of your choice (brioche buns are delicious!), halved
- Caramelized Onions (optional), recipe follows
Place the ground beef in a large bowl and add the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix gently with a fork to combine, taking care not to compress the ingredients. Shape the meat into 6 (3 1/2-inch) patties of equal size and thickness.
When the grill is medium-hot, brush the grill grate with oil to keep the burgers from sticking. Place the burgers on the grill and cook for 4 minutes. Using a big spatula, turn the burgers and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, until medium-rare or more, or cook longer if you prefer hamburgers more well done.
Meanwhile, break apart the buns and toast halves cut side down on the grill. Top each burger with a heaping tablespoon of caramelized onions. Serve hot with mayo, ketchup and mustard on the side for everyone to add themselves.
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds yellow onions, peeled and sliced in half-rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Yield: 6 servings