Last night I made some homemade granola bars to pack for today's trip. I watched my gal, The Barefoot Contessa, make them in one of her episodes and they looked easy enough. So I altered them a bit to appeal more to my kids. I also added some toasted flax seeds for extra nutrients.
They were enjoyed by both the kids and adults. Tons of protein, carbs, fiber and omega 3's all in one bar. And a great on-the-go snack. Best part is, I know exactly what is in them. I may never have to buy them from the store again.
Rockin' Granola Bars
- 2 cups organic old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds or almond slivers
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup toasted flax seeds
- 1/4 cup of wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup honey
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup raisins
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
Place the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
are they chewy? my kids like chewy.ReplyDelete
More of a crunchy-chewy than a soft-chewy. Hope that helps!ReplyDelete