Yes, I totally put the entire bunch of kale into the sloppy joe mixture and served it to my family. What happened next was pretty crazy.
The kids ate it up and made no mention that it tasted different (which it really didn't, in my opinion). Not the prettiest looking suckers but they were tasty and loaded up with kale.
My son had two servings and told me, "Mom, I'm going to town on them!". And my daughter made up a song about sloppy joes. I would have to say it was an extremely successful dinner.
Sloppy Joes With Kale
- 1 Tbs. canola or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped small
- 1 medium-size bunch of kale; washed, dried, trimmed of tough stalks; use the leafy parts only
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup-style chili sauce
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 6 buns of your choice (hamburger,kaiser,etc.), split
Toast the buns. Place the bottom halves of the buns, cut side up, on warmed individual plates and top with the beef mixture, dividing it equally. Cover with the bun tops and serve immediately. Makes 6 sandwiches. Try some sliced cheese on top!