Tonight I made a delicious shrimp and rice dish that I adapted from a Giada de Laurentiis recipe. Her recipe was from her grandmother, Nonna Luna. Cooking is kind of like the "telephone game". One person cooks something up. They pass it on to another person who makes it but changes a few things. They in turn pass it on to someone else, the recipe slightly changes again...and on it goes. Kinda cool huh?
I decided to added some brown rice to the mix for some extra fiber and I cut a bit of the butter and salt but the dish is pretty amazing the way it is. The creamy lemon sauce over the shrimp and fluffy rice is a little bit of heaven. It was hard for me to stop at two servings.
Thank you, Giada. Thank you, Nonna Luna.
Creamy Lemon Shrimp and Rice
Adapted by Foodism Mom from a Giada de Laurentiis recipe
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups long-grain rice, I used a ratio of 2/3 white and 1/3 brown
- 3 1/2 cups organic chicken stock
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 pounds shrimp (20 to 25 per pound count), peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional, I left it out so that my kids could eat it)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered for about 25 minutes until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Remove the pan from the heat and rest covered for 5 minutes.
Using a fork, fluff the rice and arrange on a platter. Spoon the shrimp and its cream sauce over the rice and serve.