So I finally made it and it was to-die-for. Not diet-friendly in the least but worth every calorie. I added a 10 ounce bag of sliced cremini mushrooms to my sauteeing morels; I can never have too many mushrooms in a dish. I also went easier on the salt than Ina did but man was it tasty.
Chicken With Morels
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 16 min
- 6 min
- 30 min
- 40 min
- 1 ounce dried morels, soaked for 30 minutes in 3 cups very hot water
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1⁄4 cup clarified butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped shallots (2 large)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 cup Madeira wine
- 1 cup (8 ounces) creme fraiche
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Dredge them in flour and shake off the excess.
Add the rest of the clarified butter to the pan along with the shallots, drained morels, and garlic.
To make ahead, refrigerate the chicken and sauce in the casserole and reheat slowly on top of the stove.