Spaghetti Rosé With Sausage & Peas
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey or pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped medium
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes (crushed tomatoes would work if you want a smoother sauce)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (depending on how creamy you want it!)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed out completely
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb pasta (I used thick spaghetti tonight but a penne would work as well)
Start a large pot of water boiling for the pasta.
In the meantime, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Saute the onions for 5 minutes to soften. Add the garlic and saute for a minute more. Next add the sausage and use a wooden spoon to break apart the meat into bite size pieces. About 5 minutes or until meat begins to brown.
Now add the vodka to deglaze the pan, scraping the brown bits off the bottom for about one minute. Add the canned tomatoes and when it comes back to a simmer, continue scraping the bottom of the pan and breaking up the sausage and tomato pieces for 10 more minutes. Now add the cream and when it is back to a simmer, cook for 3 to 5 minutes more. Stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper and the peas. Stir everything to combine. Season to taste with more salt and pepper if necessary.
When water starts to boil, cook your pasta according to package directions for al dente.
Toss the sauce and well-drained pasta together in a large serving bowl and serve with grated parmesan cheese on the side.
Oxo Good Grips Large Wooden Spoon
Oxo Good Grips Small Wooden Spoon