My hubby and I have been making crockpot carnitas for years. I think it was the first or second dish we tried in our crock pot. There are very few ingredients so it's quick and easy to prepare but it does make a lot. If you have a large party to serve, this would be a great way to do it. Just start the cooking before you go to bed or early in the morning. You want to cook it on the lowest heat setting for about 10 hours (now if we could all get that much sleep too!). When serving, put out some warmed up tortillas and a bunch of great sides. Enjoy!
Adapted by Foodism Mom from about.com
- 3 1/2 lbs (or closer to 4 lbs if you are using bone-in) pork shoulder roast (butt roast)
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled, each clove cut 2-3 pieces
- medium onion, outer skin removed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (remove seeds if you don't want it spicy)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro; rinsed and roughly chopped; use half to cook with and the other half served as a topping
- 1 bottle of medium bodied beer (12 ounces)
- Salt and pepper
Preparation:With a knife, cut several small slits into the roast. Insert pieces of garlic cloves in roast; place in crockpot with whole pepper and half bunch of cilantro which has been chopped. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and a half teaspoon of ground pepper over the roast.