I had some fresh thyme that needed to be used up so I added it to the chicken's cavity and sprinkled some on top as well. I also cut up some red potatoes and scattered them in the pan on top of the onions and lemons. The house smelt heavenly! The chicken was ridiculous! It was moist, flavorful, perfect. I served the lemon/onion gravy in a bowl on the side. This is as good as it gets.
I might not need an engagement but a second honeymoon could be on the horizon.
Engagement Roast Chicken
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) roasting chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons
- 1 whole head garlic, cut in 1/2 crosswise
- Good olive oil
- 2 Spanish onions, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour