I was lucky enough to be sent home from my in-laws' house last night with a nice chunk of ham. I've never made a split pea soup from scratch before, I had to find a good recipe. The Barefoot Contessa never lets me down so I went with hers.
The Contessa did not let me down. One of the best I've ever tasted. The perfect amount of dissolved pea to thicken the soup as well as more al dente pieces, giving it texture. A steaming bowl of the split pea with a big hunk of warm, crusty bread made the perfect dinner.
Parker's Split Pea Soup
1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All Rights Reserved
Serves: 5 to 6 servings
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup good olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups medium-diced carrots (3 to 4 carrots)
- 1 cup medium-diced red boiling potatoes, unpeeled (3 small)
- 1 pound dried split green peas
- 8 cups chicken stock or water