This fried rice is chock-full of veggies. You can eat it as a side but it would be great as a whole meal too. Just throw in a couple extra eggs for more protein. I eat mine with a little Sambal Oelek Chilli Paste.
Oh, and what a joy it was to make this in a wok finally. No rice flying out of the pan!!!
Vegetarian Fried Brown Rice
- 2 carrots (about a cup), peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- vegetable oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 oz asparagus; tough ends trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces
- 3 jumbo eggs, beaten
- 5 cups (about 2 cups of uncooked rice) of COOKED brown rice
- 1/4 cup of water (if you are using cold, leftover rice)
- 3 stalks of green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
Put carrots in a glass bowl, add a few tablespoons of water and cover with plastic wrap. Cook on high for a couple minutes. If you want them more tender, throw them back for a little longer. Set aside.
Heat wok over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add 1/2 tablespoon of oil and the asparagus. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside in a bowl.
14-Inch Pro Chef Wok Set by Joyce Chen