I made it again today. And once again, I messed with the recipe a bit but it's pretty close to Joseph Realmuto's original.
Revised by Foodism Mom from Joseph Realmuto's original recipe
- olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 (28-ounce) cans peeled plum tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 sweet Italian sausage links, removed from casings (you can leave out to make it vegetarian)
- 3/4 pound penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large oven pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add the onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add the red pepper flakes and dried oregano and cook for 1 minute more. Add the vodka and continue cooking until the mixture is reduced by half.
Meanwhile, drain the tomatoes through a sieve and crush them directly into the pot with your hands. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and a pinch of black pepper. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and place it in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta al dente. Drain and set aside.