My dear friend Kathryn was kind enough to invite me to join her at the Bowl one evening last week for a Mexican music festival. I volunteered to be in charge of the food in exchange. She is a foodie herself so the pressure was on. What to make for dining al fresco without a lot of space to eat? I decided to keep it on a finger-food level. Nothing we needed utensils for or that would end up all over our laps! Here's the sandwich I came up with.
Simple Pesto Sauce (makes enough for 3-4 sandwiches)
• 3 cups fresh basil leaves, rinsed and dried as well as possible (salad spinner works great!)
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 clove of garlic
• 2 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
• 1/2 tsp lemon juice
• 1/4 tsp kosher salt
• 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- fresh, artisan bread or rolls; I like ciabatta rolls or focaccia bread; sliced in half
- fresh mozzarella, buffalo mozzarella is amazing!; dry well with paper towels; 1/4 inch slices
- organic tomatoes, try heirlooms; 1/4 inch slices
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
I will be posting the appetizer I made for the show in a few days.
*Reminder! In a few weeks the new address of this blog will be: www.foodismmom.com