There is also only one way I've ever prepared them and that is boiled in beer, then thrown on the grill. Johnsonville brats have never let me down. The sauteed onions and peppers on top are a must!
Grilled Beer Brats
- 12 oz beer (whatever kind you like to drink)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 1/4 lbs. package of bratwurst (about 5 brats)
- hot dogs buns
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 green bell pepper; cleaned of stem and seeds, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- mustard of your choice
Heat up olive oil and butter in a medium-sized pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add onions, peppers and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Heat up the grill on high heat. When it is very hot, turn down the heat to medium-high and throw on the brats. Cook until they have nice brown grill marks on them (and are heated up if they came straight from the fridge), about 6-8 minutes. Turning them every few minutes. Serve them on hot dog buns with mustard and the sauteed onions and peppers.