The results were good enough to please my five-year-old prince. OMG, I can't believe he's already five!!!
Shrimp and Shells In Vodka Sauce
- 1 lb of shrimp (20 to 25 shrimp per pound), shells removed and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes (crushed tomatoes would work if you want a smoother sauce)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups grilled or roasted asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb pasta (I used whole wheat shells tonight but a penne would work as well)
Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan. Turn down the heat to medium. When the oil is glistening, add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and saute for a minute more.
Now add the vodka to deglaze the pan, scraping the brown bits off the bottom for about one minute. Add the canned tomatoes and when it comes back to a simmer, cook for 10 more minutes. Stirring occasionally. Now add the cream and when it is back to a simmer, cook for 3 to 5 minutes more. Stirring occasionally.
Cook your pasta according to package directions for al dente.
Toss the sauce and drained pasta together in a large serving bowl and serve with grated parmesan cheese on the side.