Bacon & Leek Quiche
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks (light green and white parts only), cleaned and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large shallot, sliced thinly crosswise
- 6 slices of thick, center cut bacon; cooked until golden brown and crispy, crumbled/diced into 1/3 inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 6 jumbo eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp ground thyme
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss and/or Gruyere cheese
- 1 pie crust(homemade or store-bought frozen), fitted to a glass pie plate or 10 inch tart pan
DirectionsIf you are using a frozen pie crust, let the dough defrost a bit by letting it sit in room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Combine the eggs, cream, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a food processor or blender. Blend for about 20 seconds.
Pour a small amount of egg mixture into the pie dish, just enough to cover the bottom. Add your leeks, evenly spread them out. Then evenly scatter the crumbled bacon on top of the leek layer. Next evenly sprinkle the cheese on top of the bacon layer. Finish off by pouring the rest of the egg mixture on top until it fills it completely without overflowing. Place on a baking sheet (in case there is overflow) and into the oven for about 40 minutes or until the egg mixture is firm and the top is a golden brown. Don't overcook.
Let rest for at least ten minutes. Cut into 6-8 pieces. Serve hot or room temperature.