This may be my new way to do banana bread. So good! I can't wait to put some vanilla ice cream on a warm piece for dessert.
Coconut and Rum Banana Bread
- 6 tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 eggs (I use extra-large but large is fine too), beaten
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (plain would work)
- 3 large or 4 small, very ripe bananas; mashed
- 1 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut (baking aisle)
Melt the butter in a large glass mixing bowl. Microwave works great. Set aside to cool. In the meantime, whisk the flour, coconut, sugar, baking soda and salt together in a separate mixing bowl. Set aside
Add the mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs and vanilla to the cooled melted butter bowl. Mix well. Next add the dry ingredients to the bowl and fold until just combined. Don't over mix. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan. Bake for 55 minutes. If a toothpick comes out clean then it's done. If not then bake for a few more minutes.
When the loaf has cooled down enough to handle, gently remove from the pan and put it on a cooling rack.